The objective of the Materials and Manufacturing research program is to deliver competitive cost, durability and performance in advanced rail manufacturing. This will be achieved through research and commercialization in the following fields – High performance materials for heavy haul, Advanced Manufacturing, Advanced, lightweight materials and Low Cost Manufacturing Systems.
The current list of Program 2 projects
- Axle bearing Maintenance Optimisation – Bombardier / University of Queensland
- Monitoring and Control of Bearing wear – Bombardier / University of Queensland
- Advanced Steel Development for Rail and Sleepers – OneSteel / Monash University
- Accelerated Life Testing and Characterisation of Critical Components – Sigma / CSIRO
- Manufacturing Processes for Rolling Stock Fabrication – UGL / University of Wollongong
- Performance of Recycled Rubber inclusions for improved stability of railways – Australasian Centre for Rail Innovation / Tyre Stewardship Australia / University of Wollongong