11 Jun Design, Modelling and Simulation | Development of a responsive passenger information system for the Sydney Trains network
Design, Modelling and Simulation
Development of a responsive passenger information system for the Sydney Trains network
Sydney Trains (Robbie Chiu) / University of Technology Sydney (Michelle Zeibots, Stuart Warren)
The project investigated trialling various technologies to automatically monitor passenger numbers and installed equipment at Town Hall Station in Sydney.
3 January 2017 to 30 June 2017 (phase 1),
1 April 2019 to 30 September 2019 (phase 2)
Total contracted budget (including in-kind)
- Collaborative identification and development of a technology that enables customers to self-organise themselves to minimise heavy congestion impacts on their experience, while at the same time reducing passenger congestion impacts on train operations.
- Conceptual innovation, with development of a Customer Journey Stages framework, to identify and align customer needs and values with operational imperatives, showing commitment to customer service approach.
- On-site proof-of-concept testing of sensor technologies and actuation approaches needed for guiding and influencing customer decision-making in passenger rail environments.
- A demonstrable passenger information system was installed at Town Hall station, integrated into Sydney Trains’ IT infrastructure. The system allowed the collection of insights into Customer movements using custom analytics from CCTV, Dwell Track™, Wi-Fi and signalling in real-time.
- The passenger information system measured customer flows, densities and journeys, along with measurement of train stop/start times and acceleration. Software and graphical user interfaces were developed to convey the information in real-time to Sydney Trains personnel.
- The project established that rail operators are able to use existing infrastructure such as the CCTV cameras and Wi-Fi access points to measure Customer flows and densities in real time. While this equipment has traditionally been installed for other purposes, it can be used to provide a valuable source of analytics that can improve both customer experience and safety.