Reimagining the workforce:
public transport reports
‘Reimagining the workforce: building smart, sustainable, safe public transport‘ was a collaborative research project between the Department of Transport, the Rail Manufacturing Cooperative Research Centre, Victoria University and industry.
The project began on 1 July 2019 and was completed in April 2020.
The research provides a starting point for addressing the knowledge-gaps in the transport-industry workforce, with a specific focus on above-track rolling stock.
Its purpose was to understand the practical steps needed to address critical skills shortages currently facing the sector, and build a sustainable and resilient future workforce.
The project provides a systemic assessment case study of the Victorian public transport rolling-stock (train, tram and bus) sector, in the broader context of the public transport system, from three angles:
- economic perspective
- organisational perspective
- community perspective.
It used a case-study approach, examining specific organisations across the rolling-stock and public transport system in Victoria.
The ‘end-user–based research methodology’ used was transdisciplinary, combining end-user and academic knowledge.
During a workshop informed by the studies’ findings, key industry stakeholders developed an industry-led interim action plan.
The plan identified three priority focus areas, and associated key tasks, for implementation over the short and long term:
- Develop a clear image of the public transport sector to appeal to young people.
- Optimise local content, and maximise social and economic benefits.
- Develop a ten-year strategic plan for training to support workforce development and workforce profiles for Victoria.
The suite of seven ‘Reimagining the workforce: building smart, sustainable, safe public transport’ reports:
- The Victorian rolling stock content. Literature review
- Community perceptions of careers working in rolling stock
- Organisational content assessment of inclusion and innovation in the Victorian rolling stock sector
- Training for a future rolling stock workforce
- The economics of rolling stock manufacturing, maintenance and operations for Victoria’s public transport sector
- Building smart, sustainable and safe public transport. Workshop context paper
- Reimagining the workforce for public transport: interim action plan