11 Jun Design, Modelling and Simulation | Reimagining the workforce: building smart, sustainable and safe public transport
Design, Modelling and Simulation
Reimagining the workforce: building smart, sustainable and safe public transport
Department of Transport (Vic) (Chris Eves) / Victoria University (Celeste Young)
This research aimed to address the current knowledge gaps to support the development of a sustainable workforce, while strengthening the employment and training pipeline for the transport industry. It also aimed to examine how organisations can work with their current workforce so that they are aligned with, and able to adjust and innovate, in the face of technological and social changes.
1 July 2019 to 31 March 2020
Total contracted budget (including in-kind)
- The delivery of Reimagining the workforce: building smart, sustainable, safe public transport – a seven-report systemic assessment that identifies opportunities to revitalise Victoria’s public transport workforce, employed across a diverse range of small, medium and large operators in the public and private sector.
- The researchers also conducted detailed organisational and economic reviews across a diverse range of roles including engineers, drivers, manufacturers and maintenance workers to assess how to retain staff and promote the industry to the next generation of workers.
- Key findings included a lack of awareness about career opportunities, the importance of public transport in Australia’s economy, and a need to focus on meaningful niche-skilled training.
The delivery of seven Reimagining the workforce: building smart, sustainable, safe public transport reports, including:
- The Victorian rolling stock content. Literature review
- Community perceptions of careers working in rolling stock
- Organisational content assessment of inclusion and innovation in the Victorian rolling stock sector
- Training for a future rolling stock workforce
- The economics of rolling stock manufacturing, maintenance and operations for Victoria’s public transport sector
- Building smart, sustainable and safe public transport. Workshop context paper
- Reimagining the workforce for public transport: interim action plan